top of page
Warm Blurry Lights
Got Questions?
Contact Us

Business Immigration

One of the most widely-used methods of obtaining permanent US residency is under employment-based immigration categories (also called business immigration).

Am I eligible to apply for employment-based permanent residency?

You may be eligible if any of the following apply to you:

You have an opportunity to permanently work in the US.

You have an employer in the US who will sponsor you for lawful permanent residency (LPR) in the US.

You have exceptional or extraordinary ability in your field.

Your employment in the US is in the country’s best interest.

You are an immigrant investor.

What are the types of visas used for employment-based residency?

Visit the following pages to learn more about specific types of employment visas.

  • Employment Based Permanent Visas

  • Temporary Work Visas

How do I apply?

 Your employer must submit a completed labor certification request (PERM application) to the Department of Labor (DOL) Employment and Training Administration. Before filing, the employer has to follow a particular set of recruitment guidelines and be able to demonstrate that there are no willing and able minimally qualified workers for the job.

Once the Labor Certification is granted, your employer will file an immigrant visa petition (Form I-140, Petition for Alien Worker) at a designated USCIS service center on your behalf. USCIS must approve the petition. The employer acts as the sponsor (petitioner) for you (the beneficiary).

Once the Form I-140 is approved, you will check to see whether visas are available under your particular Employment-Based Preference Category. If a visa is available, you may apply for a change to “Lawful Permanent Resident” status either in the US or, if you are abroad, at your local US Consulate office.

bottom of page